What it Does:
Bill your customers to make all the money
By default, there is an Invoice Tab along the Teal Tabs bar (this can be reordered as you desire)
There is a Search field for looking up invoices by number or name for example. There is also a advanced search to the right of that (see above pic).
We have 3 Quick filters to quickly show Open, Overdue and Paid Invoices
Invoice Status, Edit, Actions and PDF options:
Invoice number and statusAt the top-left of an invoice, the invoice number and invoice status are indicated. Invoice statuses will indicate whether an invoice is paid or unpaid. If a payment integration is enabled through Xero or QuickBooks, you'll also see an icon indicating that the invoice has already synced to your accounting application.
At the top-right of an invoice, you will have an 'edit' option that will allow you to manage:
- The creation date
- The invoice number
- Whether or not the invoice is taxable
- The date the invoice was paid
- The related ticket
- Tech Notes
- Payment information
The invoice actions option at the top-right of an invoice provides various ways to further manage your invoice, specifically:
- Refund - to begin a partial or full refund of the invoice.
- Email - to send an option custom invoice message to the customer's email and / or invoice or payment receipt PDFs.
- Snail Mail - to mail a physical copy of an invoice if you have purchased "stamp" credits for your account.
- Add Attachment
- Make Recurring - for creating a recurring schedule for this particular customer's invoice, allowing you to determine the recurring invoice's template name and frequency, among other options.
- Clone - to create a duplicate instance of this invoice which can be associated with a new customer or the original customer.
PDF OptionFor previewing, printing or downloading the PDF version of your invoice.
You can use the Invoice Name field to assign a name to any invoice. To do this, simply click on the empty field, then type whatever you'd like in.
Invoice Customer, Details and Line Items:
Bill To CustomerThis section includes all of the contact information for the customer the invoice is associated with. Choosing 'Change Customer' in the upper-right of this section allows you to associate the invoice with a different customer. The 'arrow' button allows you to minimize or expand this field.
Line ItemsIn the 'Line Items' section you can add item charges to the invoice by scanning a barcode in the "Add an Item" field or manually searching for the item in this field. Typing the first few letters of the inventory item will begin to populate results from your inventory that you can quickly choose from.
Alternatively, you can choose the "Add Manual Item" option to create a new item directly from the invoice. The "Add Manual Item" includes the following fields:
Clicking the 'DESCRIPTION', 'QTY', 'RATE' or 'TAX' fields will allow you to make edits directly to those fields. Changes made to the line item will only effect the item in the invoice, not in your actual inventory.
In addition to the edit options above, the three icons to the right of each line item provides some additional functionality:
The hamburger button will allow you to re-arrange the order of the line items of an invoice.
The down-arrow button will expand further edits that can be made to the line item, including adjusting the item cost and applying manual discounts.
Open Invoice Reminders allows you to send automated reminders for open invoices based on the invoice aging. To set these up, head to Admin > Invoices > Open Invoice reminders:
Here, you can set up a powerful new Invoice Reminder:
Every N Day of Month:will send that same reminder message every month while the invoice is overdue (past N days). So, you could just have it send a reminder every 1st of the month to "every invoice that is more than 30 days" overdue. It doesn't allow you to change the messaging like the other type of reminder, but it does give you a different way of sending them.
- Give it a name just for fun
- Set the schedule mode, After N days or on X Day of Month
- it needs a number of days 'overdue'
- You can set a CC email so you can copy yourself to see how the system is working
- Set the from to your billing person so they get the replies
- And the email message can accept HTML formatting, but keep it pretty simple - this will be inside your fancy HTML email wrapper template, and it will have the invoice attached automatically as a PDF
Per Customer Invoice Templates
Per Customer Invoice Templates allows you to create
From here, you can create a new template, edit existing templates, and mark a template as the default template. You can also delete and clone existing invoice templates. The default template will be used for all customers who do not have an assigned invoice template.
Assigning a Template to a Customer
To assign an invoice template to a customer, head to the customer detail page and select 'edit'. The default invoice template will automatically populate this field. Select the dropdown menu to change the template to the corresponding template you created for the customer. Overriding Invoice Templates
Once an invoice has been created, you can override the default template by using the dropdown on the invoice. Changing this field will change the invoice that is emailed, sent as snail mail, or viewed on the customer portal.