With our Xero integration, customers, invoices, payments and Purchase Orders you create in our software will automatically sync to Xero. With the setup, we also do a one-time import of all your Xero customers and inventory items.
Before you begin the integration please be sure that your Xero account is fully set up with "Tax Rates", Chart of Accounts and any other information you would like to push over to Syncro.
What it does
- Syncs Invoices and payments to your Xero account
- Syncs New customers and updates existing customers once the invoice syncs
- Updates inventory list
- Syncs Purchase Orders to Xero from Syncro
- Creates Bills in Xero when Syncro PO's are finished
- Syncs Payments from Xero to Syncro
Important note: sync is triggered when invoices or payments are modified, so just updating a customer does not send that information to Xero. After an invoice is modified it will sync to Xero.
What it doesn't do
- Sync invoices from Xero to Syncro
- Sync split payments made in Xero to Syncro
Table of Contents
- Head over to Admin > App Center.
- Click the Xero Accounting app card.
- Click Connect Now to start the authorization process.
This process is a standard oAuth flow that directs to the Xero site to login, then back to us to confirm you approved it. Then you are redirected back to Syncro where you will begin the setup wizard.
How to Configure
1. Select a Revenue account for step one. This will be the account we send all of your invoices to.
2. Map your tax rates by selecting the corresponding "XERO" tax rate from the drop-down.
3. In step 3, select the default item code. This is what our system will use in the case where you have a new product or a misc item that is not listed in your Xero account.
Pro-Tip: It's best to choose a generic item like "Miscellaneous Sales". This default product is a catch-all so putting a specific part or service might be confusing down the line.
4. In Step 4, select a Bank Account - This is the account we will use to send your payments to.
You must have an account code associated with the bank for this to work. Steps for adding a code in the troubleshooting below.
5. Select your Liability/Expense Accounts.
6. Check the box to "Enable Xero"
7. Import Customers
8. Import Products and you are done! :)
If you have a database of customers in Xero, you may want to sync them up to your customer database here to improve the ability of us to send the data to Xero. Since Xero requires names be unique, doing an import from Xero to our app will make sure all those names are matched up before data starts flowing.
If you skipped the import step during the initial setup you can always come back to it in your Xero settings page. Just head to Admin > Apps > Xero > Settings - and click Import Customers.
(This can't be undone, so be sure you want those contacts in your database)
To Export your customers to Xero, it just happens automatically when you create or modify invoices. Any time you touch an invoice, it queues a sync to Xero.
If you have some invoices in your account you want to send to Xero, you'll have a link 'Re-Sync to Xero' on your old invoices - just go click that on each of them.
We have the ability to sync or not sync outbound payments, and we can also attempt to sync payments into our software from Xero.
Some users prefer to not send payments from the application to Xero and to have those payments come automatically from their bank. To use the integration in that way,
- Check the box to Disable syncing of Payments. This prevents payments made in Syncro from syncing to Xero.
- Check the box to Attempt to Import Payments from Xero. This imports payments made in Xero into Syncro.
- Click Save Xero Settings.
We will run a scheduled task in the background every few hours and if we can find a payment that doesn't exist with us, and the amount exactly matches an open invoice for the same customer in our software, we'll import it and apply it properly. If the amounts don't match we will just skip it and your finance team can reconcile them manually.
Please note that for Xero invoices with the following will not sync:
1. Invoice with $0 (e.g. empty invoices, and invoices where the line item is discounted 100 %) will not sync unless they are marked as PAID.
2. Refund invoices, or other invoices where the balance is a negative amount (at least not for now, we plan to continue to build out the integration further)
Purchase Order Syncing
Yes, you read that right! It's a thing! So how does it work? Easy!
If you're new to Xero, POs will sync automatically. If you don't want PO's to sync automatically, head to the Xero Settings and click "Disable syncing of Purchase Orders" to disable that feature.
You can see if your PO's are synced on the main Purchase Order page with a new column we added called "Synced."
Vendors will sync automatically to Xero when they are created in Syncro. If you have vendors in Xero but not Syncro, they will come over when you import Xero Contacts (Customers).
Retry Sync to Xero
If you encounter an error during the initial sync, there is a "Retry Sync to Xero" action in the Actions drop down in the top right.
Automatic Bill Creation
When your Purchase Orders are moved to "finished" status in Syncro we will update the PO in Xero to be "Billed" status and create a Bill in Xero.
Important note: If you are setting up the Xero integration for the first time, this will be on by default. If you are a existing Xero User, we will have this disabled. Head to Xero settings and there will be a new option.
Once the feature is enabled, whenever a PO is moved to "Finished" status, the bill will be automatically created in Xero!
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must select a due date for the bill to be created in Xero. If you don't select a due date the PO will show it's billed, but the bill is not created.
Although we do everything we can to make sure the integration runs as smooth as possible you still may encounter errors along the way. Here is a list of the most common ones and how you can fix them. If you don't see your error on this list please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include the invoice number and a screenshot for Tech Support.
Why aren’t payments being exported?
Customer Reference Errors:
Error: The Contact Name already exists. Please enter a different Contact Name.
When you see an error like this it usually indicates that the customer has been modified in some way on the Xero account. Merging customers, modifying important identifying information, or simply deleting a customer on the Xero side will throw this error.
Error creating Xero payment. ErrorNumber:101 Error Message: Account type is invalid for making a payment to/from
Make sure that the account you specified for “Payment Account” in the Xero settings has “Enable Payments To This Account” checked in Xero. If you find that you're unable to complete the initial setup because your payment accounts aren't appearing, make sure to have an account code assigned to your bank accounts and this should resolve the issue.
If invoices are being created, but payments are not being created, make sure that the Xero account that is used for “Payment Account” has “Enable payments to this account” checked in the Edit Account Details popup.
If you are encountering an error preventing you from syncing an invoice that is customer related, we have a tool that let's you verify that the customer is correctly tied to it's Xero counterpart from within. I want to urge caution using this and if you have questions, to please write in to support so that we can assist you if needed.
To start, head to the Customer's Customer Detail page. You will see a icon in the upper right of the page.
Click that will take you a page where you can view the Syncro customer info and it's Xero counterpart's info on the same screen if it has a Xero id. You can also change the id manually (BE SUPER CAREFUL) and look up a customer on the Xero side from here to connect them with their Syncro customer.
Missing Account Code:
When a Xero account isn’t showing up in Syncro, it’s usually a simple fix.
1. Head to Xero > settings > chart of accounts & make sure there is an account code for each account. If a code is missing, go ahead and add it.
2. Then go back to the settings page - http://XXXXXX.syncromsp.com/xero_settings - and click the “Re-Sync Xero Accounts” link
Key words: Xero Account, Xero, Zeroaccounting, Zero