With our Xero integration, customers, invoices, payments and Purchase Orders you create in our software will automatically sync to Xero. With the setup, we also do a one-time import of all your Xero customers and inventory items.
Before you begin the integration please be sure that your Xero account is fully set up with Tax Rates, Chart of Accounts and any other information you would like to push over to Syncro.
What it does
- Syncs Invoices and payments to your Xero account
- Syncs New customers and updates existing customers once the invoice syncs
- Updates inventory list
- Syncs Purchase Orders to Xero from Syncro
- Creates Bills in Xero when Syncro PO's are finished
- Syncs Payments from Xero to Syncro
Important note: Syncing is triggered when invoices or payments are modified, so just updating a customer does not send that information to Xero. After an invoice is modified it will sync to Xero.
What it doesn't do
- Sync invoices from Xero to Syncro
- Sync split payments made in Xero to Syncro
Check out this set up video to see how the integration works.
Table of Contents
- Head over to Admin > App Center.
- Click the Xero Accounting app card.
- Click Connect Now to start the authorization process.
This process is a standard oAuth flow that directs to the Xero site to login, then back to us to confirm you approved it. Then you are redirected back to Syncro where you will begin the setup wizard.
How to Configure
- Select a Revenue account for step one. This will be the account we send all of your invoices too.
- Map your tax rates by selecting the corresponding "XERO" tax rate from the drop-down.
- In step 3, select the default item code. This is what our system will use in the case where you have a new product or a misc item that is not listed in your Xero account.
Pro-Tip: It's best to choose a generic item like "Miscellaneous Sales." This default product is a catch-all so putting a specific part or service might be confusing down the line.
- In Step 4, select a Bank Account. This is the account we will use to send your payments to. You must have an account code associated with the bank for this to work. Steps for adding a code in the troubleshooting section below.
- Select your Liability/Expense Accounts.
- Check the box to "Enable Xero."
- Import Customers.
- Import Products and you are done! :)
If you have a database of customers in Xero, you may want to sync them up to your customer database here to improve the ability of us to send the data to Xero. Since Xero requires names be unique, doing an import from Xero to our app will make sure all those names are matched up before data starts flowing.
If you skipped the import step during the initial setup you can always come back to it in your Xero settings page. Just head to Admin > App Center > Xero Accounting > Sync Settings, then click Import Contacts from Xero.
(This can't be undone, so be sure you want those contacts in your database)
To Export your customers to Xero, it just happens automatically when you create or modify invoices. Any time you touch an invoice, it queues a sync to Xero.
If you have some invoices in your account you want to send to Xero, go to each one and, in the upper right, click Actions > Re-Sync to Xero.
At this time we will not bulk sync historical invoices from Syncro to Xero.
We have the ability to sync or not sync outbound payments, and we can also attempt to sync payments into our software from Xero.
Some users prefer to not send payments from the application to Xero and to have those payments come automatically from their bank. To use the integration in that way,
- Check the box to Disable syncing of Payments. This prevents payments made in Syncro from syncing to Xero.
- Check the box to Attempt to Import Payments from Xero. This imports payments made in Xero into Syncro.
- Click Save Xero Settings.
We will run a scheduled task in the background every few hours and if we can find a payment that doesn't exist with us, and the amount exactly matches an open invoice for the same customer in our software, we'll import it and apply it properly. If the amounts don't match we will just skip it and your finance team can reconcile them manually. This process works fairly consistently, however it can sometimes fail. If it does fail, it will not try again for that same payment. You would need to manually reconcile the payment in Syncro if this were to not sync within 24 hours of its creation.
Please note that for Xero invoices with the following will not sync:
1. Invoice with $0 (e.g. empty invoices, and invoices where the line item is discounted 100%) will not sync unless they are marked as PAID.
2. Refund invoices, or other invoices where the balance is a negative amount.
Purchase Order Syncing
Yes, you read that right! It's a thing! So how does it work? Easy!
POs will sync automatically by default. If you don't want them to automatically sync, head to your Xero Settings page and check the Disable syncing of Purchase Orders box to stop them, then click Save Xero Settings.
You can see if your POs are synced on the main Purchase Order page with the Synced column.
Vendors will sync automatically to Xero when they are created in Syncro. If you have vendors in Xero but not Syncro, they will come over when you import Xero Contacts (Customers).
Retry Sync to Xero
If you encounter an error during the initial sync, in the upper right click Actions > Retry Sync to Xero.
Automatic Bill Creation
When your Purchase Orders are moved to "finished" status in Syncro we will update the PO in Xero to be "Billed" status and create a Bill in Xero.
Note: This will be on by default. If you want to disable this, head to Xero settings and check the Disable syncing of Bills checkbox, then click Save Xero Settings.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must select a due date for the bill to be created in Xero. If you don't select a due date the PO will show it's billed, but the bill will not be created.
Although we do everything we can to make sure the integration runs as smooth as possible you still may encounter errors along the way. Here is a list of the most common ones and how you can fix them. If you don't see your error on this list please contact email@example.com and be sure to include the invoice number and a screenshot for Tech Support.
Why aren’t payments being exported?
Customer Reference Errors:
Error: The Contact Name already exists. Please enter a different Contact Name.
When you see an error like this it usually indicates that the customer has been modified in some way on the Xero account. Merging customers, modifying important identifying information, or simply deleting a customer on the Xero side will throw this error.
Error creating Xero payment. ErrorNumber:101 Error Message: Account type is invalid for making a payment to/from
Make sure that the account you specified for “Payment Account” in the Xero settings has “Enable Payments To This Account” checked in Xero. If you find that you're unable to complete the initial setup because your payment accounts aren't appearing, make sure to have an account code assigned to your bank accounts and this should resolve the issue.
If invoices are being created, but payments are not being created, make sure that the Xero account that is used for “Payment Account” has “Enable payments to this account” checked in the Edit Account Details popup.
If you are encountering an error preventing you from syncing an invoice that is customer related, we have a tool that lets you verify that the customer is correctly tied to its Xero counterpart from within. We urge caution using this and if you have questions, to please write in to support so that we can assist you if needed.
To start, head to the Customer's Customer Detail page. You will see an icon in the upper right of the page.
Click that will take you a page where you can view the Syncro customer info and its Xero counterpart's info on the same screen if it has a Xero id. You can also change the id manually (BE SUPER CAREFUL) and look up a customer on the Xero side from here to connect them with their Syncro customer.
Missing Account Code
When a Xero account isn’t showing up in Syncro, it’s usually a simple fix.
- In Xero, head to Accounting > Chart of accounts. Make sure there is an account code for each account. If a code is missing, go ahead and add it.
- Confirm that the account Type is either Bank or Asset. You can add new ones in Xero if needed, however, if you are creating an Asset account be sure to select Current Asset as Account Type and check the box Enable payments to this account.
- Then in Syncro, go to the Xero settings page - http://XXXXXX.syncromsp.com/xero_settings - and click the Re-Sync Xero Accounts link.
Bank/Asset Account does not show up in Xero integration settings within Syncro:
Make sure that the account you specified for “Default Xero Account for Payments (Bank/Asset Accounts)” in the Xero settings has “Enable Payments To This Account” checked in Xero.
If you find that you're unable to complete the initial setup because your payment accounts aren't appearing, make sure to have an account code assigned to your bank accounts and this should resolve the issue. So to get there It would be under Account > Chart of Accounts > Click on the Bank account and then you can add a Chart of Account number.
Key words: Xero Account, Xero, Zero accounting, Zero