You can download the customer import CSV template by going to Admin > Customers > Customer Import:
The customer import section provides the steps you'll need to download the CSV, enter your customer information, and import it back into Syncro.
Here are some helpful tips to ensure a successful customer import:
- Unless you've exported your inventory from the software and it's an existing product (already in the software), the 'id' column should be left blank.
- If you are adding items with quantity, make sure the 'maintain_stock' column is set to TRUE.
- If the item is taxable, make sure the 'taxable' column is set to TRUE.
- If you are using product categories, make sure those categories have been created in the system before you import the inventory.
- If using Big-Chain: You can leave the 'quantity' column blank, but make sure to fill out the individual location's quantity on the CSV.
- Don't use the $ symbol when filling out cost and price.
- If your UPC codes are long, make sure that Excel isn't shortening them using scientific notation prior to importing.
- If delete is TRUE and there is an id that matches, that product will be deleted completely.
The name of the product should be unique.
If you think your csv file has all the right fields, but your import doesn't load inventory, try uploading your CSV to this test site and see if the columns are correct: http://csv-validator.herokuapp.com/.
* NOTE: Long UPC numbers may not display properly in Excel, as Excel automatically shortens long numbers to scientific notation. You may want to turn off this option, as importing a CSV with scientific notation into the software will not store data properly.
Bulk Updating Customers
1. Export your customer file by navigating to Admin > Reports > Customer Export to CSV:
2. If it's a large file, this may take a few minutes. When it's ready, you'll find it in /reports/downloads.
3. Edit the file in Excel. It should look something like the following image, and you can scroll down this page to see each of the columns detailed:
4. Reimport the edited file in the same place you downloaded the template under: Admin > Customers > Customer Import
Columns in Customer CSV Export:
id: The unique ID that the software has assigned to that customer. It is not recommended you modify this.
firstname: The customers first name
lastname: The customers last name.
email: The customers email address
address: The main address for the customer
address_2: Used for apartment number, etc.
city, state, and zip: The customer's location information
phone: A phone number serves as the unique ID for the customer. It is recommended you include one.
mobile: A mobile phone number is required for SMS
location_id: It is not recommended you modify this.
business_name: If the customer has a business, or if this is a business account, include the business name here
created_at: System driven. It is not recommended that you edit this unless you specifically need to.
updated_at: System driven. It is not recommended that you edit this unless you specifically need to.
referred_by: You can customize referred by sources in Admin > Customer Preferences. You can then add these sources to this field for your reports.
custom_fields: Refer to the customer import document for more information
all_phones: If there are additional phones, they will be included here
no_email: Set to TRUE if customer should not be permitted to receive email or FALSE if customer should be permitted to receive email
opt_out: Set to TRUE if customers want to opt out of marketing emails or FALSE if they want to receive them.
Customers have been set to "no email"
It is possible for your customers to be automatically set to no email. This happens if the system detects a bounced email from the customer. Their name will then show in Admin > Reports > Customer Opt Outs. You'll also be notified of this when you try to email them through the system. This is designed to keep your email from getting blacklisted / flagged as spam. If you have a large number of these in the system, you can perform a bulk update to reset these.
To make it so that all your customers are permitted to receive email, set no_email to FALSE. If you do not have a no_email column in your export, go ahead and add it.
You would like to delete all your customers' phone numbers:
Delete the information from the appropriate column(s).